Rookwood Pottery was founded in 1880 by Maria Longworth Storer. Storer named the new art pottery company Rookwood after the large number of crows that roosted in the trees of her family home. She was an active participant in the development of the art community in Cincinnati and at one time worked at the Frederick Dallas Pottery.
In 1891, Storer turned the management of the company over to W.W. Taylor. It was under his leadership that the art pottery company attained great significance and realized its greatest profit both in money and talent.