Pilgrim Glass Corporation was founded in 1956 by Alfred Knobler in Ceredo, West Virginia. During its early production years, Pilgrim primarily made crackle glass and art glass, similar to Blenko. However, in 1968, Pilgrim made its mark in the glass industry when it introduced some of the most beautiful colored glass in the world, Pilgrim Cranberry Glass.
Few companies could produce the hand-blown cranberry glass successfully for several reasons. The glass was blown by mouth and shaped by hand so could not be made in large quantities. Secondly, it was often difficult to achieve the rich cranberry color as glassblowers added gold chloride to the molten glass during manufacturing—a very temperamental process. Additionally, the complicated process required multiple glass workers to produce one piece.