In 1862, the pottery company, Tempest, Brockmann & Company was founded in Cincinnati, Ohio later changing to Tempest, Brockmann & Sampson Pottery in 1881. Ownership changed again in 1887 with C.E. Brockman as president/owner and the name became The Brockmann Pottery Company. The company's earliest mark was the English lion and unicorn with the T.B. & Co beneath. When Brockman took sole ownership in 1887, the mark remained the same other than the letters changed to B.P. Co. The addition of words “Warranted Best Ironstone China” was added to ironstone.